Substack terms


The act of making a newsletter or post public.

What is a publication in Substack?

Substack is an online platform that allows writers to send digital newsletters directly to their readers. A publication in Substack refers to the content created and shared by these writers to their subscribers. These publications can range from personal essays, news, analysis, and commentary to serialized novels, poetry, and more.

The platform enables writers to monetize their work by offering both free and paid subscriptions. Subscribers of a paid publication receive exclusive content, access to archives, and other benefits. Therefore, a publication in Substack is a way for writers to independently distribute and monetize their content, while building a direct relationship with their audience.

How much does it cost to publish on Substack?

Substack offers a free version for writers to publish their work, but it also has a paid version. The paid version allows writers to charge their subscribers a fee for access to exclusive content or newsletters. Substack takes a 10% fee from these subscription earnings.

For example, if a writer charges $5 per month for a subscription, Substack would take 50 cents. However, it's important to note that there are also payment processing fees charged by Stripe, Substack's payment processor. These fees are 2.9% + 30¢ per transaction. So, for a $5 subscription, the total fees (Substack + Stripe) would be around 80 cents. The writer would then receive the remaining amount.

How do I publish on Substack?

Publishing on Substack is a straightforward process. First, you need to create an account on Substack. Once you have an account, you can start a new publication by clicking on your profile picture in the top right corner and selecting 'New Publication'. You will then be prompted to name your publication and customize its appearance.

After setting up your publication, you can start writing your first post. Click on 'New Post' at the top of your dashboard, and you will be taken to a text editor where you can write your content. Once you're satisfied with your post, you can either publish it immediately or schedule it for a later date. You also have the option to make your post free or paid. When you're ready, click 'Publish Now' or 'Schedule' to make your post live.

Can you make money publishing on Substack?

Yes, you can make money publishing on Substack. Substack is a platform that allows writers to monetize their content directly through subscriptions. Writers can choose to offer free content to attract readers, and then offer premium, subscription-based content for a fee. The platform allows writers to set their own subscription rates, and they keep 90% of the revenue, with the remaining 10% going to Substack.

However, it's important to note that making money on Substack requires a significant amount of work and a dedicated audience. Writers need to consistently produce high-quality content that readers find valuable enough to pay for. Building a large, paying audience can take time and effort. Therefore, while it is possible to make money on Substack, success is not guaranteed and depends largely on the writer's ability to attract and retain subscribers.

If you also work with videos...

You should try - your all-in-one screen recorder, to create launch videos, product demos, social media videos, 1:1s for customers, and more!

Tella isn't just a screen recorder. It combines the simplicity of Loom with the creativity of Canva to create great looking videos with no effort.

With Tella, you can record your screen and/or camera, combine separate clips and quickly remove mistakes, apply beautiful backgrounds, change the camera layout, add zoom effects - almost instantly.

Tella screen recorder

< Back to Substack glossary

Try Tella today!

Screen recording for creators — simple and powerful.

7-day free trial — no credit card required