Substack terms


The transfer of earned money to the writer's bank account.

What is a payout in Substack?

A payout in Substack refers to the earnings that writers or creators receive from their subscribers. Substack is a platform that allows writers to monetize their content by offering paid subscriptions to their readers. The payout is the portion of these subscription fees that the writer receives after Substack deducts its platform fee.

The payout process begins when a subscriber pays for a subscription to a writer's newsletter. Substack takes a 10% fee from this payment, and the rest goes to the writer. The writer's payout is then transferred to their bank account on a monthly basis. The exact amount of the payout can vary depending on the number of subscribers and the price of the subscription.

How much can you earn from Substack?

Earnings from Substack can vary greatly depending on a number of factors. The platform allows writers to set their own subscription rates, and earnings are primarily derived from these subscriptions. Therefore, the more subscribers you have, and the higher your subscription rate, the more you can potentially earn. Substack takes a 10% fee from these earnings, and payment processing fees also apply.

However, it's important to note that building a substantial subscriber base can take time and effort. Some successful Substack writers reportedly earn thousands of dollars per month, but these are often established writers with large existing audiences. For new writers without a significant following, earnings may be much lower, especially initially. Therefore, while Substack can potentially be a lucrative platform, success often depends on your ability to attract and retain subscribers.

How does Substack payout work?

Substack operates on a subscription model where writers can charge their readers for access to their content. The platform allows writers to set their own subscription rates, and Substack takes a 10% fee from these subscription revenues. The remaining 90% goes to the writer.

Payouts on Substack are processed through Stripe, a third-party payment processing platform. Once a writer earns money from their subscriptions, they can transfer these earnings from their Stripe account to their bank account. The frequency of these payouts can be set by the writer, with options for daily, weekly, or monthly transfers. However, it's important to note that Stripe also charges a small processing fee for each transaction.

When does Substack payout to writers?

Substack pays out to writers on a monthly basis. The payments are processed on the first day of each month for the previous month's earnings. However, it's important to note that there is a delay in the payment process due to the time it takes for the funds to transfer.

The delay is typically around two weeks, meaning writers can expect to receive their earnings around the middle of the month. For example, if a writer earns money in January, they would receive their payout on the first day of February, but the funds would not likely appear in their account until around mid-February. This timeline can vary slightly depending on weekends and holidays.

If you also work with videos...

You should try - your all-in-one screen recorder, to create launch videos, product demos, social media videos, 1:1s for customers, and more!

Tella isn't just a screen recorder. It combines the simplicity of Loom with the creativity of Canva to create great looking videos with no effort.

With Tella, you can record your screen and/or camera, combine separate clips and quickly remove mistakes, apply beautiful backgrounds, change the camera layout, add zoom effects - almost instantly.

Tella screen recorder

< Back to Substack glossary

Try Tella today!

Screen recording for creators — simple and powerful.

7-day free trial — no credit card required