YouTube terms

Channel Membership

A paid subscription feature that allows viewers to support a channel in exchange for perks.

What is a channel membership in YouTube?

A channel membership in YouTube is a feature that allows creators to monetize their content by offering exclusive perks to their subscribers for a monthly fee. This feature is available to YouTube channels that meet certain eligibility criteria, such as having more than 30,000 subscribers, being part of the YouTube Partner Program, and being in a location where channel memberships are available.

Memberships usually have different levels, each with its own set of perks. These perks can include badges, new emojis, exclusive videos, live chats, or other content that is not available to regular subscribers. The aim is to provide a way for fans to support their favorite creators and for creators to build a more stable income stream.

How do I set up Channel Membership on YouTube?

Setting up Channel Membership on YouTube involves a few steps. First, you need to be eligible for this feature. Your channel must have more than 30,000 subscribers, be in the YouTube Partner Program, be over 18 years old, and be located in an available location. Also, your channel should have no active strikes, and you must comply with all of YouTube's policies and guidelines.

Once you meet these requirements, you can set up Channel Membership. Go to YouTube Studio and select the 'Monetization' tab on the left menu. Then, click on 'Memberships' in the menu at the top of the page. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your membership offer. You can customize your membership levels, perks, and pricing. Once you're done, click on 'Next' and then 'Done'. Your Channel Membership is now set up and your fans can join by clicking the 'Join' button next to the 'Subscribe' button on your channel.

What are the benefits of Channel Membership on YouTube?

Channel Membership on YouTube offers several benefits to both creators and subscribers. For creators, it provides an additional revenue stream. Members pay a monthly recurring fee to get unique badges, new emojis, Members-only videos, and access to unique perks such as exclusive live chats, depending on the level of membership. This allows creators to monetize their content more effectively and build a closer community with their most dedicated fans.

For subscribers, becoming a member of a YouTube channel allows them to support their favorite creators and enjoy exclusive content and perks. They can interact more closely with the creators through members-only live chats and other exclusive interactions. They also get to stand out in the comments and live chats with loyalty badges next to their names, making their interactions more noticeable. Overall, channel membership enhances the YouTube experience for dedicated fans and helps creators to sustain their work.

How much does Channel Membership on YouTube cost?

The cost of Channel Membership on YouTube can vary depending on the channel. YouTube allows creators to set their own pricing for memberships, with the minimum cost being $0.99 per month and the maximum being $100 per month. However, the most common pricing tiers are $0.99, $1.99, $4.99, $9.99, and $24.99 per month.

The cost of the membership is determined by the creator and the benefits they offer to their members. These benefits can include badges, new emojis, Members-only videos, priority replies to comments, and more. It's important to note that YouTube takes a 30% cut of the membership fee, with the remaining 70% going to the creator.

If you create and edit videos...

You should try - a screen recorder that doesn't compromise on speed or creativity.

Tella simplifies video creation: record, customize, and share in one place; combine separate clips and quickly remove mistakes; apply beautiful backgrounds, layouts, and effects with just a few clicks; share the video link or export in 4K.

With Tella, create YouTube videos, tutorial videos, and online courses that look amazing in minutes, not hours!

Tella screen recorder

< Back to YouTube glossary

Try Tella today!

Screen recording for creators — simple and powerful.

7-day free trial — no credit card required